Sunday, September 12, 2010

Things to Ponder




We loaded up the truck and trailer and made a trip to Fayetteville this weekend. I packed up clothes, diapers, baby food, and all of the necessities for our family of six to go on an overnight stay. Ivey spent the car ride down barking orders at the boys. "Stop it, guys!", "Hush, boys!", "Quiet, Asa! Odive nite-nite!" (Asa was not even talking and Olive wasn't asleep, so this was just Ivey wanting to tell everyone what to do.) She has become quite a bossy little girl in the car.

When I got almost all the way there, I realized that the extra large bag that I pack everyone's clothes and things in was STILL AT HOME. Everything I packed up... toothbrushes, underwear, diapers... everything... was still sitting there on the dining room table. We managed to survive, but that night each and every child slept in the buff while I washed their clothes. At least I'll have less laundry to do when I get back home.

We left to come home late last night, just Addison, Ivey, Olive, and myself. Within 10 minutes, Addison and Olive were asleep. Ivey, on the other hand, stayed up for the entire hour and a half ride, talking the whole time. She talked about airplanes and bridges and Twinkle Star. She wasn't satisfied with a one way conversation, either. So, I had to sing and talk and be thoroughly entertaining until we made it home at 11:00 at night. She is a major night owl. I was majorly exhausted!

Jeff and Asa are at the other house, finishing up the goats' new fence. Jeff said that at one point Asa looked up, deep in thought. "Daddy, wouldn't it be cool if we were the same size?" Jeff agreed that it would be cool. "What if half of us were a grasshopper... because grasshoppers have really strong legs and can jump really high... and half of us were an ant... because ants can carry like 50 times their weight. We could get a lot done then." Jeff again agreed. But, why did Asa begin this conversation with the dream of them being the same size? Because if you didn't start out the same size before you turned in to an ant and grasshopper, then morphing wouldn't work very well, of course. That's just plain silly.

On the homefront, Addison, Ivey, Olive and I are working on packing up. As I was head down in a box, I heard Ivey say, "Tail in, Momma!". Now, little kids say lots of things. All. day. long. The trick is to learn when to pay close attention. Of course, there are key words to look for, like "mess" or "uh-oh" or "potty", but sometimes things are a bit more esoteric. At this point, I am able to hear "Tail in, Momma!" and know for great certainty that there is a cat somewhere who has been sealed in Tupperware. After inspection I learned, once again, that Mommas are usually right.

No comments:

Post a Comment